06/03/13

GO HARD OU VAITE DEITAR: Nico Esteban video + interview (ENGLISH)



 Finally it's here. Nico's been filming for this video since a copule months before Christmas until just a week ago! The resulting clips seemed amazing to me, with spots you'd kill your whole family for and the tricks... you already know how the homie Estebang rips.

Click below to read an interesting interview with Nico (you didn't expect that huh?)





Matching our first ‘’long’’ project disguised as a mixtape of all the homies who make Do right do bikes, it seemed interesting to me making interviews simultaneously to the publication of each one of the video parts, in which each individual could showcase his ideas and personality. Randomly Nico was the first one to go through all my questions, and he is really someone who has strong believes and ideas about what he does like and what he does not, so it should turn out into an interesting read to all of those who are unfamiliar with him.

I first met him about 2 years ago, and I as the rest of the people who has had the chance to ride with him have realized of his potential and natural talent when it comes to riding. I’m aware that the cliché of ‘’dude he deserves better than the rest because in addition to his good riding he is humble, feeds the poor people and helps some fuckin nanny to cross the street’’ but he really rides with a contagious confidence and an enviable humility.

What’s crackin’ yo? Let’s move quickly from the most conventional part of the interview. Talk a lil’ about yourself: where are you from, current place of residence, how old are you, how long have you been riding, sponsors, nicknames, etc.

What’s up dudes. I was born in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (Spain),  then I lived in Huelva for seven years and right after that I moved to Pontevedra which has been my official residence ever since.  Right now I’m  going to college in Bilbao since last year so obviously I find myself living in the Euskoterritory. 
I started riding kinda seriously when I was about  13 and been pedaling ever since these kid bikes. Regarding the sponsors, Lluis from Rapit bmx is helping me out as much as he can as well as you (Jorge) with the Do Right Do Bikes tees, perfect for the disco (cheers güey)

Currently you’re in college and as a result of being such a dedicated kid (haha) we all wonder how do you manage your time to ride and go to college?

I’m studying  Law + Business Administration at Deusto and honestly at times it gets hard to keep up with both things, but if you know how to organize yourself I think it’s doable. One of the short period advantages that college provides me with is that after being studying for hours, riding comes as the best thing ever; that’s one of the things I appreciate the most.

To all of those people out there who still haven’t had the… pleasure of getting to know you, tell us about how you got into this thing of bikes for retarded dudes and who were the riders who had the most influence on you at first. 

I hope the pleasure thing wasn’t ironic… As I already said I started riding when I was 13 because of the older dudes in my high school had already been riding for a while and I wanted to be like them. After asking my father about  1000 times ‘’Dad can you get me one of those stunt bikes for Christmas?’’ he ended up buying me a Diamond Back for a reasonable $220. The people that inspired me at first were  these older kids from my high school, but unfortunately they gave up the bmx thing shortly after. This was the time when I met David, Noe, Borja, Juan, etc. Being honest these were the guys who truly inspired me.

 Speaking of your beginnings, it is interesting to talk about how your relationship with contests has been evolving as you and your riding have grown more mature (4 years ago you were starting to open eyes in Expert level of ‘’O Marisquiño’’ and you even got to reach a 2nd place in Master  1 or 2 years ago) Lately it seems that the Street Jam style events  like the ones we did last year reign over the traditional contests due to their more laid back spirit as well as the growing popularity street riding has been experimenting. 


I think that street jams do a better job at representing the spirit of bmx, they are much more creative and relaxed. However, ramp contests drag way more people shouting for a backflip or a frontflip, much better with a handlebar turn in between. In my opinion ramp contests are more stressful, more competitive but at the same time they make way more money and appeal to the sponsors, which is obvious taking a look at most of the national contests.  


Something that not many people know about (now that we go in depth with the ‘’more serious’’ side of bmx) is that you spent 2 summers in Woodward, place in which instead of learning tailwhips and 720’s you focused on grinding perfect rails and ledges, smoking weed and fucking cheerleaders raw, haha. Tell us a little bit about that to those of us who haven’t had the chance to ride there.
Due to my father wanting me to learn good English, he sent me two summers (two weeks each) to Woodward and I had a really good time. As you rightly stated before, my idea of riding Woodward didn’t consist of becoming a trick ferret, but to enjoy the sick places they have to ride street, because that is what I really like and the only thing I had the chance to ride in the past (shout outs to the mayor of Pontevedra Lores) Opposed to what many people could think of Woodward, it has plenty of skateplazas even though yes, the atmosphere and most of the people there are into park riding. I have to admit that I tried to turn into a backflipman but getting out of the foam pit was more tiring than break dance so I decided to quit, haha. By the way this year I’m trying to get a job there making hot dogs or washing the dishes, given that the pay for everything except from the plane ticket.

Along with your growing lack of interest regarding contests, you’ve been feeding an ongoing motivation when it comes to filming for webvideos. Some of the most memorable were that one you made forNorth Harbor with Juan Regueira (where are you hiding these days Juan? We hardly see you anymore) that one you made for Paddock Bikes, the Enfant one and finally the one you filmed with your homie Jaime which had so much impact on the public opinion. What’s your opinion on webvideos and which video left you with the best memories?

I always thought that web videos were the best way for people to show what they really like to do on a bike: the spots they like, the tricks they like, etc. On the other side contests ‘’make’’ riders do the maximum amount of tricks possible (which is totally understandable)  and  lots of people feel obliged to do this or that trick when the true essence of bmx is to enjoy riding and having a good time with your buds. One of the best memories I keep while filming is that time when I was filming the edit with Juanito. I was shouting to him ‘’c’mon Juanito! You can do it for fucks sake!’’ and he ended up firing this impossible gap, resulting in a big ass crash, haha. Love Juanis



In your opinion, what does your part in the mixtape ‘’Go hard ou vaite deitar’’ have that your previous edits lack (or what does NOT have)?

I hope it has 200% more psychedelia due to your editing, haha. For real though, I think I’ve always been picky when it comes to edits and selecting which clips to use and which to bin, but it’s true that for this part I had already had thought most of the clips I wanted to use so I hope you like the result.

Speaking of the mixtape, which is the part you wait for more eagerly? What will the public reception of the parts be like? It always seemed to me that we have a really strong and diverse scene, but at the same time it’s pretty scattered so it’s hard for people to know what’s cookin here.

I believe Rober’s part (yeah, that guy who destroys everything in sight  after a couple dozens of beers) is gonna be fire and will open lots of eyes, given that few people know his ultraextreme abilities when it comes to riding. After having a sneak peek of his clips I am sure that his part is gonna bang, even though the rest surely will not disappoint. As you point out, I think that Galicia has a scene that has nothing to envy other scenes, but it’s badly organized and each one is doing his thing. Thank God we have Do Right Do Bikes to get it together, yewwwww.

-Now that we find ourseves in the scenes topic, I’d like to ask you your opinion on the scene in Euskadi vs the scene here.
Well I think the current scene in Euskadi is great, but they run with advantage with the limitless amount of street spots and skateparks they have compared to Galicia. I must say that in Bilbao we only ride a few people, even most of times Jaime and myself ride alone.
How do you feel about everything Dorightdobikes does and stands for? The blog, the jams, the tees, the videos… You are free to talk shit on me if you feel like it, haha. What changes would you make in the current state of bmx and what would you highlight as positive?
As I said before, one of the biggest achievements of Do Right Do Bikes is unifying and giving exposure to the Galician bmx scene. Without this blog/crew/homies thing many of us wouldn’t have the relation we have nowadays. No doubt that’s the best way to foment  bmx and give it a more creative and distinct point of view, thing that I miss in the rest of the peninsula. Thanks a lot Georgeeeee!

Going back to your riding, you’ve been riding from the beginning with 2 pegs, then you put the 3rd one on where you traded your Derek dusters for crooked grinds and finally you ended with 4 pegs which could or could not be due to Rober’s (Loureiro) pressure. Pros and cons of each one? Can you see yourself going back to 2 or 3 pegs?

It all started one groovy night where Rober (with a high grade of alcohol) made me realize that if I had 3, why not 4? So after I recovered from the beating I suffered after wrestling him I decided to put the 4th one one until now. I clarify ‘’until now’’ because I went back to 3 pegs recently. My hubguard won’t fit in my new wheel for the 4th one and without one I’m breaking chains all the time, haha. As soon as I solve this problem I hope I can go back to 4 pegs.

Your opinion on freecoasters,  as a fakie, halfcab stuff lover? Can you see yourself rocking one?

I’m really into freecoaster riding, but as you say I pretty much love every backwards trick and a coaster won’t allow me to do most of these tricks. Despite saying this I don’t bin the idea of trying one someday in the future.

Which are the webvideos that get you hyped the most to go ride? Who are your favorite riders?

One of the webvídeos that hit me the most was the Federal web video with Dan Lacey and Ty 
Morrow in which they introduced Ty to the English brand. I’m really into the Garrett Reeves Sunday webvídeo too. There are lots of riders that have influence on my riding but the ones that come to mind are Ty Morrow, Bruno Hoffman, Garrett Reeves and why not? Jimmy Jon, because we ride together on a daily basis and we learn a lot from each other (*no homo)



What are your expectations for 2013 regarding new tricks/videos? Which are riders are going to blow up this year?

I have lots of expectations, but one thing that’s gonna have a huge impact and leave its mark in bmx history is the Deadline video. I’m sure it’s gonna be the best bmx video in history and I hoooope they don’t push the deadline forward again; 2012 Fall is over fuckers! Haha. Regarding the riders who are gonna blow up my homie Jaime García comes to mind. Not only because he is my friend, but due to his abilities on his bike still unknown out there. I hope the future has good news for him in store.

BONUS: Jaime García’s questions.
-Have you ever jumped over a car or a dog?

Once when I was hangovered I almost jumped over a Mercedes at a crossing, but when it got to the point of doing it I pussied out just in case it moved, haha.

-What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever grinded/ground?  
The table in my flat.

-Has someone ever talk shit on you while you were riding, stopped, talked and ended it with a hug?
First two steps, yeah, not sure about the third one though...

Finally let’s go back to the starting point and close up the interview in a traditional way; who do you wanna thank?
First I’d like to thank my family and more specifically my father for being supportive with everything from the very beginning and dealing with me day after day. In second place to all my homies I ride with that make me keep on with bmx. Course thanks to you Jorgiño  and to all the DRDB army for making this possible and making this project a reality. Last but not least thanks to Lluis from Rapitbmx for trusting me and Jaime and supporting us as much as possible. Thanks a lot to all chaaayos!! Love.















 



Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário